Advertisement
League of Ireland
Horse Racing
TV Listings
GAA Fixtures
The Video Review
Sport meets news, current affairs, society & pop culture
Rugby Weekly Extra
Dive into all the news and analysis 3 times a week
The Football Family
Weekly insights from the week’s big talking points
Advertisement
More Stories
Former footballer Joey Barton leaves Westminster Magistrates' Court, central London, where he has been found guilty of assaulting his wife, Georgia Barton.Alamy Stock Photo
FreeVerdict
Joey Barton found guilty of assaulting wife
The former Man City player was handed a 12-week prison sentence suspended for two years at Westminster Magistrates’ Court.
6.12pm, 25 Mar 2025
Share options
JOEY BARTON has been found guilty of assaulting his wife by kicking her in the head at their family home.
The former Manchester City, Newcastle and Rangers midfielder left Georgia Barton, 38, with a lump on her forehead and a bleeding nose after the incident in Kew, south-west London, in June 2021.
He was handed a 12-week prison sentence suspended for two years at Westminster Magistrates’ Court.
They had each been drinking alcohol with two other couples while their children slept upstairs, before having a drunken row about a family matter, the court previously heard.
Barton, 42, then grabbed his wife and pushed her to the ground before kicking her in the head.
Mrs Barton had called police immediately after the incident, saying her husband had “just hit me”, but later sent a letter to prosecutors retracting her allegations.
At the same court on Tuesday, chief magistrate Paul Goldspring rejected Barton’s account of events as “vague” as he convicted him of a single charge of assault by beating after a two-day trial.
While he acknowledged Barton had “a record of violence”, the magistrate said: “I am satisfied that it is not necessary to impose an immediate custodial sentence.”
Advertisement
Mr Goldspring said a mitigating factor was that the couple remained in a “happy relationship” with a young child, adding: “That is not something I want to interfere with.”
Speaking outside court after the sentencing, Barton said he was “really disappointed” with the magistrates’ verdict and intended to appeal the decision at the High Court.
Prosecutor Helena Duong told the court Mrs Barton’s 999 call to police on the night of the incident was “compelling evidence” of the assault, as she had described it in “clear terms”.
Mrs Barton was not as affected by alcohol as both she and Barton had suggested, the prosecutor said.
Ms Duong said Mrs Barton’s bloody nose was “an injury that really requires an explanation”, adding: “It was, plainly, something not caused by an accident.”
Barton previously told the court he admitted to getting into an argument with his wife but denied that anything “physical” had happened.
He was arrested in his bedroom on the night of the incident, where he had been asleep and was still drunk, the trial was told.
Barton was taken to a local police station, where he gave a no-comment interview.
Simon Csoka, defending Barton, said it was not clear what the period of time was between Mrs Barton receiving the injury and making the 999 call.
Referring to the lump sustained on her head, he told the court: “There are a number of circumstances where the injury may have been sustained accidentally.”
The former footballer, of Widnes, Cheshire, was due to face trial at a magistrates’ court in 2022 but the case was adjourned after Mrs Barton sent a letter to prosecutors retracting her allegations.
In the letter, she said her injuries had been caused by an accident when a friend moved in to separate the pair.
A judge ordered that proceedings be paused over concerns a trial would be unfair to Barton after prosecutors said they did not plan to ask Mrs Barton to give evidence in court.
The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Stephen Parkinson, appealed against the decision at the High Court in London, with barristers claiming at a hearing that a fair trial could go ahead.
In a judgment in June, two senior judges ruled in the DPP’s favour and said Barton should face a trial over the allegations in front of a different judge.
Barton, wearing a black jacket, jumper, trousers and glasses, did not speak from the dock but was asked to stand as the verdict was given.
He was ordered to pay £2,183 in victim surcharge and prosecution costs within seven days.
Press Association
Send Tip or Correction
Embed this post
To embed this post, copy the code below on your site
Email “Joey Barton found guilty of assaulting wife”.
Recipient's Email
Feedback on “Joey Barton found guilty of assaulting wife”.
Your Feedback
Your Email (optional)
Report a Comment
Please select the reason for reporting this comment.
Please give full details of the problem with the comment...
Joey Barton
kicking in head
News in 60 seconds
FreeIn Demand
No update from Munster as Jack Crowley's contract situation remains unresolved
Freegreat scott
Champion Hurdle heroine Golden Ace on course for Punchestown
Ireland Women's squad announced for ICC Cricket World Cup qualifier
Noonan's hunger, Mustaki's story and Clancy Cooney-Cross: Ireland's returning faces
Demons-Neptune Super League playoff quarter-final to be replayed over 'scoring error'
Freea good day
Ulster welcome back Baloucoune and Stewart, and also announce new shirt sponsor
Freeexamination
World Athletics approves cheek swabbing to determine athletes' biological sex
rejuvenation
'I've not trained at wing-back since he arrived. At the very first session, he just changed'
Mason Melia makes history as Ireland beat Hungary
Páirc Uí Chaoimh sells out in less than 24 hours for Division 1 hurling finals
Sam Prendergast signs new Leinster contract
more from us
Investigates
Daft.ie Property Magazine
Allianz Home Magazine
The 42 Sports Magazine
Money Diaries
The Journal TV
Journal Media
Advertise With Us
About FactCheck
Our Network
FactCheck Knowledge Bank
Terms & Legal Notices
Terms of Use
Cookies & Privacy
Advertising
Competition
more from us
TV Listings
GAA Fixtures
The Video Review
Journal Media
Advertise With Us
Our Network
The Journal
FactCheck Knowledge Bank
Terms & Legal Notices
Terms of Use
Cookies & Privacy
Advertising
Competition
© 2025 Journal Media Ltd
Terms of Use
Cookies & Privacy
Advertising
Competition
Switch to Desktop
Switch to Mobile
The 42 supports the work of the Press Council of Ireland and the Office of the Press Ombudsman, and our staff operate within the Code of Practice. You can obtain a copy of the Code, or contact the Council, at https://www.presscouncil.ie, PH: (01) 6489130, Lo-Call 1800 208 080 or email: mailto:info@presscouncil.ie
Report an error, omission or problem:
Your Email (optional)
Create Email Alert
Create an email alert based on the current article
Email Address
One email every morning
As soon as new articles come online
Sign in or create
a free account
To continue reading create a free account
Or sign into an existing account
Related News
11 Mar, 2025
Do US F-35 jets have a ‘kill switch’? Eu . . .
19 Feb, 2025
Ex-All Blacks assistant joins Western Fo . . .
31 Mar, 2025
Suryakumar Yadav Completes 8000 Runs in . . .
05 Mar, 2025
Police chiefs ‘open to discussions’ on l . . .
08 Feb, 2025
This nepo baby joined his Hollywood star . . .
23 Mar, 2025
Ajagba steps up training ahead of Bakole . . .
13 Feb, 2025
Rory McIlroy: Donald Trump is on PGA Tou . . .
10 Feb, 2025
'I got a fairly savage boo. It's one of . . .