TRENDING NEWS
Back to news
26 Feb, 2025
Share:
Mikel Arteta backs Myles Lewis-Skelly for England call-up as Ben White claim made
@Source: mirror.co.uk
Mikel Arteta says it would be “incredible” for Myles Lewis-Skelly to get an England call-up. England boss Thomas Tuchel has been monitoring the Arsenal teenager and has been ringing players to check on their availability. Lewis-Skelly, 18, has enjoyed a remarkable breakthrough season with Arsenal while England also have a major issue at left back. Gunners teenager Lewis-Skelly has not even represented England at under-21 level but on form is pushing hard for a senior call-up for next month’s Worlds Cup qualifiers with Albania and Latvia at Wembley. It would be a huge call by Tuchel but England have a massive issue in that position because Newcastle ’s Lewis Hall is the only other obvious candidate as the likes of Luke Shaw and Ben Chilwell have been plagued by injuries and fallen out of the reckoning. But Arteta clearly has no concerns about one of his teenagers being called up at such a young age. Arsenal boss Arteta said: “They are entitled to do that and it would be an incredible thing for the player.” Arteta also backed Ben White to “make the right decision” after Tuchel called the Arsenal full back to try and discover whether he wanted to play for England again. White, who made his first appearance against West Ham on Saturday after three months out through injury, has been out of the England picture since he quit the World Cup squad in Qatar in 2022. The Arsenal defender snubbed an England recall last year under former boss Gareth Southgate but Tuchel made it clear that he intended to “reach out” to White before naming his squad next month. That call has now taken place and it is still not clear whether White wants to come back and Arteta hinted they are thinking it over before making a decision. Arteta added: “That’s a conversation that he and Thomas have to have, whatever they decide will come in great terms and will make sense. It will be the right decision.” Tuchel is expecting a tough qualification campaign, with Albania first up at Wembley on 21 March. The German has insisted that reaching the World Cup will not be easy despite the lack of another top level side in England's group. “It’s a difficult group,” said Tuchel. “Serbia and Albania have some good individual players, top coaches and some very famous ex-players, so it will be very tough. We’ll have to be very respectful of that. “We have to be at our top level to make it to the World Cup – it’s the most important task at the moment to not get distracted. We also don’t want to get distracted by the role of favourites.” Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
For advertisement: 510-931-9107
Copyright © 2025 Usfijitimes. All Rights Reserved.