TRENDING NEWS
Back to news
01 Apr, 2025
Share:
'Not ideal': Managerial upheaval for Carlow and Meath ahead of Leinster football opener
@Source: the42.ie
Advertisement League of Ireland Horse Racing TV Listings GAA Fixtures The Video Review Sport meets news, current affairs, society & pop culture Rugby Weekly Extra Dive into all the news and analysis 3 times a week The Football Family Weekly insights from the week’s big talking points Advertisement More Stories Meath defender Seán Rafferty.SPORTSFILE. 'Not ideal': Managerial upheaval for Carlow and Meath ahead of Leinster football opener Shock in Meath as two coaches exit and change at the Carlow helm. 6.01am, 1 Apr 2025 Share options MEATH DEFENDER SEÁN Rafferty admits it was ‘a shock’ to learn of the sudden departure of highly-rated coaching duo Joe McMahon and Martin Corey, a week out from their Leinster opener. On Saturday, there was turmoil in Meath as it was announced that McMahon and Corey had left Robbie Brennan’s football set-up. Rafferty was speaking at the Leinster GAA senior football championship launch at Cedral St Conleth’s Park, Newbridge yesterday. “Not ideal, not ideal at all. Any team no matter who they lose, players or management, a week before championship is not ideal. But look, we just have to get on with it, it’s not going to change anything. “From a players’ point of view, we found out Saturday that the boys had decided to step away. Don’t know why they did that, not too sure. To be honest, no inkling that was coming, nothing at all, a shock to us all across the board, but that’s just the way it is. “We’re just focused on Carlow on Sunday and whatever else has to be dealt with, that’s going to be the powers that be to sort that out.” Rafferty says McMahon and Corey are “top-class coaches” who “leave a void” and is unsure whether a replacement will be sought. Advertisement He also hails “top manager” Robbie Brennan and is keen to look forward after a league campaign in which the Royals missed out on promotion from Division 2. All eyes are on Páirc Tailteann on Sunday. Carlow have endured their own upheaval with manager Shane Curran exiting last week, with captain Mikey Bambrick revealing that frustration had grown in their setup in recent weeks. The former Roscommon goalkeeper cited “player-related issues” as he departed, which the team contest. Bambrick was also speaking yesterday afternoon at the Leinster launch, before the news emerged last night that Joe Murphy had been appointed as interim manager. “There’s been some build up of frustration, I suppose, is the way of putting it over the last few weeks. When this happened, we’ve come more together as a group and we’ve had lads that have stepped away come back in. That’s always a good sign when you have more of the best players in your county playing. Training’s are better, upbeat, good intensity training. Still getting good preparation for the first round of the championship.” Carlow captain Mikey Bambrick.Piaras Ó Mídheach / SPORTSFILE Piaras Ó Mídheach / SPORTSFILE / SPORTSFILE Bambrick explained the decision to issue a statement hitting back at Curran on Friday, as the players “felt obliged” to respond to the claims of their former manager. While the GPA were a support, the team opted to release the statement to local media in the county as they addressed their own supporters. The Old Leighlin defender stayed away from the noise on social media, but says the response and support has been “great”. “I suppose with what came out afterwards, the kind of statements and the opinions that were floating around with people, we as players, we never wanted to go out and do any interviews or say any of that sort of stuff, but we just felt obliged. “It wasn’t for the national view of us, it was for the people in Carlow because lads come up to me and ask me what’s the story with what went on. We just want to get the truth and the facts out there of what happened for us as players, because when things like that are getting discussed, it’s not fair on us at the time. “We just wanted to get that out there and get that clear. We didn’t want to make it anything direct, we didn’t want to make any accusation like that, we just wanted to get our side out so everyone knew what was going on.” It has been a challenging first year as captain for Bambrick, to say the least. “Could have done with Darragh Foley staying another year! It’s a baptism of fire. “I’m not used to dealing with all this stuff either. It just means all the players have that bit more added responsibility to get themselves right. At the end of the day, you’re still going out and training, getting yourself right and ready for the championship. Not much has changed but it’s just a bit more added pressure and responsibility on a lot of players. “I’m looking forward to going back to playing football now, to be honest. You can only do so much talking, at the end of the day you’re a footballer and all you want to do is go out on the pitch.” Onto Navan for Carlow and Meath, with football the focus after a period of managerial upheaval for both counties. Viewcomments Send Tip or Correction Embed this post To embed this post, copy the code below on your site Email “'Not ideal': Managerial upheaval for Carlow and Meath ahead of Leinster football opener”. Recipient's Email Feedback on “'Not ideal': Managerial upheaval for Carlow and Meath ahead of Leinster football opener”. Your Feedback Your Email (optional) Report a Comment Please select the reason for reporting this comment. Please give full details of the problem with the comment... This is YOUR comments community. Stay civil, stay constructive, stay on topic. Please familiarise yourself with our comments policy before taking part. Leave a Comment Submit a report Please help us understand how this comment violates our community guidelines. Damaging the good reputation of someone, slander, or libel. Racism or Hate speech An attack on an individual or group based on religion, race, gender, or beliefs. Trolling or Off-topic An attempt to derail the discussion. Inappropriate language Profanity, obscenity, vulgarity, or slurs. Advertising, phishing, scamming, bots, or repetitive posts. Please provide additional information Thank you for the feedback Your feedback has been sent to our team for review. Leave a commentcancel Access to the comments facility has been disabled for this user View our policy ⚠️ Duplicate comment Post Comment have your say Or create a free account to join the discussion Gaelic Football News in 60 seconds FreeDates For Diary Here's this week's GAA inter-county schedule and TV coverage 27 mins ago FreeAt The Helm Carlow appoint Joe Murphy as Shane Curran's replacement on interim basis Blow for Man City as Haaland set for spell on the sidelines with ankle injury AnalysisNumber 10 Munster's Jack Crowley cleverly bosses the Test in the West Murray Kinsella Talking Points Harte and O'Connor keep winning, Mayo's concern, and what's the future for league finals? Munster set to appeal against Alex Nankivell's red card Welcome back Connacht set to bring experienced Billy Millard into new role Welcome back Connacht set to bring experienced Billy Millard into new role Munster set to appeal against Alex Nankivell's red card Mickey Harte: 'In my own head and heart, I said this team is good enough' AnalysisNumber 10 Munster's Jack Crowley cleverly bosses the Test in the West Murray Kinsella more from us Investigates Daft.ie Property Magazine Allianz Home Magazine The 42 Sports Magazine Money Diaries The Journal TV Journal Media Advertise With Us About FactCheck Our Network FactCheck Knowledge Bank Terms & Legal Notices Terms of Use Cookies & Privacy Advertising Competition more from us TV Listings GAA Fixtures The Video Review Journal Media Advertise With Us Our Network The Journal FactCheck Knowledge Bank Terms & Legal Notices Terms of Use Cookies & Privacy Advertising Competition © 2025 Journal Media Ltd Terms of Use Cookies & Privacy Advertising Competition Switch to Desktop Switch to Mobile The 42 supports the work of the Press Council of Ireland and the Office of the Press Ombudsman, and our staff operate within the Code of Practice. You can obtain a copy of the Code, or contact the Council, at https://www.presscouncil.ie, PH: (01) 6489130, Lo-Call 1800 208 080 or email: mailto:info@presscouncil.ie Report an error, omission or problem: Your Email (optional) Create Email Alert Create an email alert based on the current article Email Address One email every morning As soon as new articles come online Sign in or create a free account To continue reading create a free account Or sign into an existing account
For advertisement: 510-931-9107
Copyright © 2025 Usfijitimes. All Rights Reserved.