A video recovered from the cellphone of an aid worker killed in Gaza alongside other rescuers shows their final moments, according to the Palestine Red Crescent, with clearly marked ambulances and emergency lights flashing as heavy gunfire erupts.
He was among 15 humanitarian personnel who were killed on March 23 in an attack by Israeli forces, according to the United Nations and the Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS).
The Israeli military has said its soldiers “did not randomly attack” any ambulances, insisting they fired on “terrorists” approaching them in “suspicious vehicles”.
Military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Nadav Shoshani said that troops opened fire on vehicles that had no prior clearance from Israeli authorities and had their lights off.
But the video obtained by Agence France-Presse on Saturday appears to contradict the Israeli military’s claims, showing ambulances travelling with their headlights and emergency lights clearly flashing.
The video, apparently filmed from inside a moving vehicle, captures a red firetruck and ambulances driving through the night.
The vehicles stop beside another on the roadside, and two uniformed men exit. Moments later, intense gunfire erupts.
In the video, the voices of two doctors are heard – one saying, “the vehicle, the vehicle,” and another responding, “It seems to be an accident.”
Seconds later, a volley of gunfire breaks out, and the screen goes black.
PRCS vice-president Marwan Jilani told a press conference at the United Nations headquarters in New York that the video was recovered from the body of one of the deceased aid workers.
Those killed included eight PRCS staff, six members of the Gaza civil defence agency and one employee of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, also known as UNRWA.
Their bodies were found buried near Rafah in what the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) described as a mass grave.
OCHA has said the first team was targeted by Israeli forces at dawn on that day. In the hours that followed, additional rescue and aid teams searching for their colleagues were also struck in a series of successive attacks.
According to the PRCS, the convoy had been dispatched in response to emergency calls from civilians trapped under bombardment in Rafah.
In the video, a doctor recording the scene can be heard reciting the Islamic declaration of faith, the shahada, which Muslims traditionally say in the face of death.
“There is no God but God, Mohammed is his messenger,” he says several times, his voice trembling with fear as intense gunfire continues in the background.
He is also heard saying: “Forgive us guys, forgive me mother because I chose this way, the way of helping people”.
He then says, “accept my martyrdom, God, and forgive me.” Just before the footage ends, he is heard saying, “The Jews are coming, the Jews are coming,” referring to Israeli soldiers.
The deaths of the aid workers has sparked international condemnation.
Jonathan Whittall, the head of OCHA in the Palestinian territories, said the bodies of the humanitarian workers were “in their uniforms, still wearing gloves” when they were found.
An Israeli military official said the bodies had been covered “in sand and cloth” to avoid damage until coordination with international organisations could be arranged for their retrieval.
The military said it was investigating the attack.
Related News
16 Feb, 2025
Connacht hold off Cardiff fightback to s . . .
20 Mar, 2025
VALR celebrates its 7th birthday
14 Mar, 2025
Immigration officials arrest second pro- . . .
06 Apr, 2025
Marcus Thuram bags bizarre goal as Inter . . .
04 Apr, 2025
Coupling star Sarah Alexander's wild lov . . .
12 Mar, 2025
Champions Trophy Presentation Row Escala . . .
15 Mar, 2025
Aamir Khan's Girlfriend Gauri Spratt Rev . . .
29 Mar, 2025
Play 'co-op with yourself' in this singl . . .