The Trump administration announced Sunday it is eliminating 2,000 positions at the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and placing nearly all remaining staff worldwide on administrative leave.The move follows Friday's federal court decision by U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols to allow the administration to proceed with its workforce reduction plan, marking a significant escalation in the month-long effort to dismantle the agency.Newsweek reached out to the White House via email on Sunday for comment.Why It MattersThe restructuring comes amid broader administration efforts through the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE), an unofficial agency created by executive order, to reorganize federal agencies.USAID's global operations, which include managing epidemics, addressing food insecurity, and providing education funding, play a crucial role in U.S. foreign policy. The administration has revealed plans to absorb USAID's functions into the State Department eventually.What To KnowEffective 11:59 p.m. EST Sunday, February 23, 2025, most USAID staff will be placed on administrative leave globally, except those designated for mission-critical functions and core leadership.The agency's Washington headquarters has been closed, with thousands of aid and development programs worldwide shutting down. Overseas personnel must return to the U.S. within 30 days at government expense. Contractors have received unnamed termination letters, which workers warn could complicate unemployment benefits claims.While one judge has temporarily blocked the foreign assistance freeze, requiring restoration of program funding, Judge Nichols determined that emergency communication provisions, including two-way radios and a panic button app, adequately address safety concerns for overseas staff.What People Are SayingU.S. District Judge Carl Nichols said in a previous statement: "The risk posed to USAID employees who are placed on administrative leave while stationed abroad — if there is any — is far more minimal than it initially appeared."USAID Notice to Workers: "USAID is committed to keeping its overseas personnel safe. Until they return home, personnel will retain access to Agency systems and to diplomatic and other resources."USAID Deputy Administrator Pete Marocco said in a court filing on Thursday: "Undertake all measures as appropriate to ensure the safety and security of current employees."El Slavador's President Nayib Bukele earlier this month wrote on X: "Most governments don't want USAID funds flowing into their countries because they understand where much of that money actually ends up. While marketed as support for development, democracy, and human rights, the majority of these funds are funneled into opposition groups, NGOs with political agendas, and destabilizing movements."What Happens NextThousands of USAID workers will be left unemployed as the Trump administration continues to degrade the agency and merge it with the State Department.
Related News
24 Feb, 2025
Finn Russell's costly miss was a cruel r . . .
10 Feb, 2025
Exeter City aiming to show football can . . .
29 Mar, 2025
Diego Maradona’s Former Bodyguard Arrest . . .
17 Feb, 2025
Zimbabwe fall short as Ireland level the . . .
15 Feb, 2025
Watch the ‘SNL’ sketch that Taylor Swift . . .
01 Mar, 2025
London Sunshine Food Dehydrator
16 Mar, 2025
Rickie Fowler recognizes his struggles i . . .
17 Mar, 2025
Va Tech, Saint Joseph's, James Madison a . . .